It is not a disease.
Yes, you are correct. 1880. I bought it a few years ago from my parents in Spain.
And not for a fortune. Is it a wine from 1880?
Well, yes and no. Solera is a way of blending wine.
- The barrels of 1880 are placed on the ground.
- Barrels of 1881 are placed on top.
- The barrels of 1880 are partly bottled and sold.
- The 1880 barrels are topped up with the 1881 wine.
- On top of the 1881 wine barrels barrels of 1882 barrels are stacked to fill the 1881 barrels.
- And so on.
A blend of all the years from 1880 and on is created. Obviously there is not much left of the wine created in 1880.
But still: Is’nt it a great idea to drink something that has survived generations, crises and all distucting world wars?
What is a good time to drink such a wine?