Yes, it is ringing. Outside. But not in my house! The Ring doorbell is a really funny item. It is a doorbell which enables you to see who is in front of your door and talk with this person.
With your phone! No matter where you are. As log as the internet can find your phone. Very funny and useful.
You have to abandon your privacy because it knows practically everything about you, it films your visitors, whoever is walking in the street and records everything. In HD. Big Brothers dream! But very useful.
The Ring app has some problems. It is so unreliable that I removed it. When somebody would ring the bell the following could happen:
- It would work perfectly. The phone notifies you that somebody is a the door immediately.
- It would sort of work. The phone notifies you that somebody is at the door after 3 minutes.Of course that person would have left already.
- It does not work at all. There is no notification at all. You can have a look at a movie of a frustrated person ringing and leaving. Perhaps funny for youtube.
The hardware seems ok but the software…. And Ring is aware of it, There are problems with anti virus software and battery optimization apps. Since I do not have any installed there must be some other issues.
After a few days I focussed on: My wifi network, the connection to the Ring server, and the phone settings. The hardware seems fine.
My wifi seems fine as well. I cannot do anything about the Ring server. The phone is a black hole.
After a few weeks of brainstorming, re installing the app, changing settings, I believe that I reached the Eureka moment! A normal person would have returned the item a long time ago.
For my phone, a Motorola G4, android 7.0, this seems to be the solution: Disable battery optimisation! Since my phone is Dutch I have to guess the menu names.
Here is how it is done:
- Go to settings
- Press the 3 dots in the upper right corner
- Battery optimisation. You see a list of apps which are not optimised.
- Select All apps
- Go to the Ring app and select Do not optimise
- Press Ready
I cannot guarantee that this solves all your problems but my doorbell is working! Most of the time…..
P.S. Visit our shop: Leven in de Brouwerij.